This article will demonstrate how to correctly set up authentification for the MapTiler QGIS plugin so that the user can seamlessly use MapTiler maps in the QGIS desktop GIS without any security risks.
Recent news in MapTiler QGIS plugin
The MapTiler QGIS plugin is being continuously improved and new features are being added regularly. The most recent development was recently promoted in the following news article. This tutorial is focusing on the improvements done around authentication and passwords.
Improved security in MapTiler QGIS plugin
QGIS uses an Authentication database to store credentials in a secure way. A master password protects this database. Go to
you should see a similar window.
- If you have no entry in the table, MapTiler credentials are not saved in the database.
- If you see the
qgis-maptiler-pluginentry there, then the credentials are stored in the database and you should be able to access the credentials with the help of the master password.
If you cannot remember your master password, then the easiest solution is to create a new authentication database with a new password. CAUTION - Creating a new database will delete the old DB, so do it only if you do not use the old database for any other authentication
(like Postgres, Oracle servers, WMS). You are good to go, if there is only the following entry in
qgis-maptiler-plugin. To proceed, perform the following actions:
- Click on Utilities.
Integrate master password with your Wallet/KeyRingif you use it on your computer and want to have it integrated.
- Click on
Erase authentication databaseand confirm with OK.
- Restart QGIS
- Click on any map from MapTiler Plugin
- If you use Wallet/KeyRing and enabled its integration a new master password was created and stored in the Wallet.
- If you did not use the Wallet integration you will be asked to create a new master password.
- Now you have a new authentication database with a new master password created.
Let's save the plugin credentials into the DB.
MapTiler/Account...and put in the token
from MapTiler Credentials Page.
- You should be able to access all the MapTiler maps now.
- If you do not use Wallet/KeyRing, you will be asked for the master password at the start
of every QGIS session.
Print your maps with the MapTiler QGIS plugin
Choosing the output format for your map
Creating a map with MapTiler Engine
Global terrain baseman for QGIS
MapTiler QGIS Plugin web
Open map in QGIS