Satellite 2021 dataset is part of MapTiler Satellite map. You can use it via API in MapTiler Cloud or download it for self-hosting as a MapTiler Data package. This article shows how to set up a sample layer from MapTiler Satellite 2021 downloadable from MapTiler Data Satellite 2021 download page.
To optimize the size of this package, we prepared it in a WebP format with transparency. This format allows us to compress the size to hundreds of gigabytes (from original terabytes of raw data).
The Satellite 2021 consist of two layers:
MapTiler Satellite Lowres
- around 80 MB
- overview of the world
- this dataset is part of the free MapTiler Server starter pack downloadable from MapTiler Data.
MapTiler Satellite Mediumres 2021 - around 500GB - with detailed parts of the continental area.
For serving these data, we recommend using the MapTiler Server that is available for free.
How to compose layer using composite.json
1. Download and unpack to your work directory MapTiler Server starter pack from MapTiler Data.
2. Download to folder Satellite Mediumres 2021 from MapTiler Data downloads section.
3. Create in this folder a new text file called "satellite.composite.json", and add the following lines to it
"opacity": [[3, 0], [6,1]]
"opacity": [[3, 1], [6, 0]]
"center": [0, 0, 1]
4. Launch MapTiler Server in this folder and open the administration.
5. Go to the Tiles section and rename id of Satellite Mediumres 2021 to maptiler-satellite-2021.
6. Now you can see a seamless mosaic in Tiles as satellite.composite.
Please sign in to leave a comment.