This article shows how to create (and import) maps for Garmin devices using MapTiler Engine. This is available for Garmin devices, that support Custom maps. The actual list can be found on the Garmin support page. If your device is on the list, then the whole procedure consists of four simple steps - you need to process your map, wrap it for import, upload it to your device and eventually enable it inside your navigation.
For having the "Garmin GPS device" export available, you need to select the "Google Earth KML" output format, as shown in the tutorial below.
Getting your map ready for your Garmin device
With MapTiler Engine, it is quite simple to upload a custom map into your Garmin handheld GPS navigation. You can use any available raster online map or scan a paper map.
- Drag and drop or open your file
- If the image contains the geographical location, it is picked up automatically. Otherwise, you can assign the location visually, define the bounding box or load it from an external file. This tutorial shows the option "Assign location visually"
- Find at least three of the same places on both maps. Be as precise as possible — use intersections, churches, bridges, or other landmarks. When you are finished, just click "Continue"
- Confirm the suggested coordinate system or find a custom one, then click "Export"
- In the "Format of output" page, select the "Google Earth KML" option and proceed to the "Output settings page" by clicking the "Continue" button
- Select the "Garmin GPS devices" option and click on "Render"
- Create a new directory and wait, until your map is rendered
- "Preview the map" allows you to preview in the Google Earth application, where you can check the precision of your overlay
Processing the output
- Open the created folder and pack the directory and doc.kml file into the zip archive
- Rename the zip file and change the extension to .kmz
- Important note - some systems still keep the .zip extension after changing to .kmz. Make sure you are using only .kmz
Importing the files in your device
- Connect your Garmin device and go to the folders Garmin -> Custom Maps
- Copy the created .kmz file into your Custom Maps folder and disconnect the Garmin device from your computer
Setting up the map in your device
- In your navigation, go to Menu -> Setup Map
- Go to Select Map
- Search for the Custom maps
- Enable Custom Maps
- Now, you are finished. Your map will be loaded with your position on top of the map.