This article describes the process of how to publish a customized map in the new MapTiler Customize map editing tool. The process is pretty straightforward and intuitive.
Unlike with the old map customization tool in MapTiler Cloud, you do not have to make any changes to any standard map style in MapTiler Cloud in order to be able to publish it as a custom map. But please, if you by any chance publish a standard map style (made by MapTiler) as your own custom map, do not forget to place the attribution in the map.
How to publish a map
1. Go to your MapTiler Cloud profile, where your standard and custom maps styles are, and select one.
2. Preview the map style and click the big blue "Customize" button under the map preview.
3. MapTiler Customize tool will open. Select "Layers" and choose one layer group; here, it is "Water."
4. Select the color feature and click the color square to open the palette. Pick the color for "Water."
5. Select another feature and do the same steps you did with "Water." This time, it is "Woods."
6. After you have made the changes, check your new map style and click "Save" (top right).
7. Right after saving your map, you can continue editing or proceed by clicking "Publish" (top right).
8. A preview appears; compare the before/after of the map and confirm with "Publish" (low left).
9. Acknowledge the change will be done across all apps using the map style. Confirm with "Publish."
10. A pop-up appears low right and publishing process is completed.
11. You can close the map by clicking the big X (top right).
12. Your new map style appears among your other custom map styles in your MapTiler Cloud profile.
Delays in browser
Please keep in mind that the changes you have made to a custom map style may take up to 1-2 hours to propagate to all of your customers' map styles due to caching, various browser types, or just due to network congestion or lack of internet connection. We recommend publishing changes to your map styles outside your maps' peak usage periods.
The Customize tool from MapTiler is replacing the old Maputnik map editing tool and it gives your a quick and easy way how to customize your map style to any visual form you like and to fit any use case you might have. It's a straightforward workflow and easy-to-use toolset is perfect for both skilled professionals and occasional map users.