This article provides information for OpenMapTiles subscribers about the migration from OpenMapTiles to MapTiler Data. The OpenMapTiles product is no longer available, with that project focusing now on the open-source schema. The commercial licensing of pre-rendered maps for self-hosting is being continued under the MapTiler brand.
Existing subscribers to the commercial plans can use this opportunity to upgrade their self-hosted maps. Alternatively, you may consider MapTiler Cloud for your web-based application. The option to self-generate your maps with our OpenMapTiles project will always remain.
Upgrade to MapTiler Data
Customers requested a more user-friendly interface, higher quality data layers, and an easier software for hosting and serving the maps. These calls resulted in the launch of MapTiler Data & Server.
Benefits of switching to MapTiler Data
MapTiler Data is offering new datasets, including the 2021 Satellite Layer and the terrain data (Contour lines, Hillshade, and RGB Terrain or Cesium quantized mesh for rendering maps in 3D). The updated frequency, especially the OSM Vectors has also been improved, to a two-week interval.
Each MapTiler Data subscription now also comes with a MapTiler Server license included. MapTiler Server has many new features, improved UI and easier integration of external data sources compared with the old OpenMapTiles map server or TileServer GL. The software can be run completely offline and works natively in Windows, Linux, MacOS, and Docker.
There is also the ability to integrate dynamic data from PostGIS/ PostgreSQL with MapTiler Server, which will allow you to add custom live data from a PostgreSQL database directly onto the base map in just a few clicks.
To try MapTiler Server for free, follow these instructions.
Available Data packages
There are three options available for subscribers. Each of them is described below with more information to be found on the pricing page. Consider your use case to pick the right license, or contact the MapTiler Customer Success team to discuss which is right for you.
Each subscription covers a different type of use on a different scale but also includes different datasets and features.
MapTiler Data Basic ($1,500/year)
- License: Developer-License (R&D, Customer Demos) + Production-License for single application (internal or B2C) with a maximum of 100 monthly active users.
- Datasets: OSM Vectors, Contour Lines, Hillshading, 2017 Medium-Resolution Imagery
MapTiler Data Business ($4,800/year)
- Permitted use: Developer-License (R&D, Customer Demos) + Production-License for single application (internal or B2C) with a maximum of 1000 monthly active users.
- Datasets: Basic Package Datasets + 2021 Medium-Resolution Imagery, Terrain RGB,Terrain 3D - Cesium quantized mesh, Landcover and MapTiler Planet Lite
- Additional features: Team account, Auto-update script, offline activation (Windows, macOS and Linux)
MapTiler Data Partner (custom contract)
- Permitted use: Developer-License (R&D, Customer Demos) + Production-License(s) (internal, B2C, B2B, or government) with a custom number of applications and monthly active users.
- Datasets: Basic Package Datasets + Business Package Datasets + Optional Add-Ons (premium MapTiler Planet vectors, Outdoors, High-Resolution Imagery, etc.)
- Additional features: Offline activation in Docker and Virtual Machine (VM) (add-on)
MapTiler Cloud alternative
If your application is web-based, then an easier-to-use and more scalable solution is MapTiler Cloud. With MapTiler Cloud you get access to all our best data out-of-the-box and can use advanced features like our Customize Tool, GeoCoding, GeoLocation, and much more.
One of the clear benefits of MapTiler Cloud access premium layers, from MapTiler Planet to high-resolution satellite imagery. MapTiler Planet includes 150GB of data that is not included in the OpenStreetMaps based layer, offers vandalism protection on place names and borders, and has landcover integrated to produce a beautiful map experience.
You can also easily change disputed borders and show maps according to national regulations in different markets you operate in.
The service operates on a high-availability infrastructure for very fast and reliable map loading, reducing your need to maintain your own map serving infrastructure, thus saving you invaluable time.
How and when to upgrade
You can reach out anytime to our Customer Success team to get help with choosing the right product for your transition. We are also going to send you a notification email one month prior to the end of the subscription.
We will be offering a transition discount to existing users, to please get in touch to inform us of your application's specifications. We'll better be able to meet your needs with answers to the following questions over email in advance.
- What exactly is your use case?
- Is your app completely offline or web-based?
- Do you use the maps for internal use or are you targeting third-parties (users or organizations)?
- How many users do your applications have?
- What type of maps are you using?
In case you do not upgrade to the new MapTiler Data before the end of your existing OpenMapTiles subscription, the subscription will be canceled. You will NOT be licensed to use the maps in your application if your license expires.
Need more help?
Transitioning to a new product can be challenging, especially when you got used to the previous service for a longer period of time. We just want to assure you that we are always here to help with transitioning to MapTiler Data and getting the most value from the service.
Our skilled Customer Success team is more than happy to help get the most value out of your subscription. Contact us anytime for a consultation.