The new version of map styles
Version 2 of the Standard Maps is now offered by default in the Maps section of MapTiler Cloud, as well as in the Customize tool and Advanced Editor. Previous versions are still available but are not listed in the MapTiler Cloud user interface anymore. Please see the Maps list to know the current status.
The new map styles bring several major improvements, including:
- More map features at every zoom level and faster performance
- A refreshed look and feel with adjusted colors, fonts, and icons
- Newly added and improved map style presets, available from the Map Wizard.
- A reduced number of layers, now using simple to advanced style expressions.
- Simpler and consistent layer names across all map styles
- The systematic use of the HSL color space
This makes the maps better, more consistent, and easier to edit in the Advanced Editor.
How to use or upgrade to the new version
The new map styles have been available in production since December 2022, so the new version of the map style is used by default when creating a new map. You just have to select the one you like from the Map Wizard to get started.
For each Standard Map, you may notice the newly added '-v2' string in the map identifier, as shown below.
If you are using an older version of the map you may consider upgrading to the new version of the map by simply adding '-v2' to the URL used in your application.
For example, when using the Basic style, you may replace this URL:
The following points to the new version:
In the case you created a custom map derived from the older version of the map style, then you may include the changes manually using the Advanced Editor.